Complaints Procedure

We really value your feedback on our services to help us improve our services.  We’d be really grateful for your feedback on your experiences – good or bad.

You can provide feedback to Anita Anderson, Interim Practice Manager by telephone on 01782 315654, or by email [email protected]

How to make a formal complaint

We’re proud of the service we provide at Mayfield Surgery and we work hard to offer safe, effective healthcare that meets you and your family’s needs. However, we realise that sometimes things can go wrong. When that happens, we need you to let us to know so that we can try to help you hopefully put things right – and make sure that we learn from your experience.

Complaints can be made in person, by telephone or in writing/via email. If you would like to speak to someone in person about your complaint, please contact our reception staff in the first instance and they will guide you on next steps.

Our Complaints Lead is: Anita Anderson, Interim Practice Manager who is responsible for investigating, mediating and providing guidance and support about the complaints process, for patients and relatives as well as for staff.  Any correspondence regarding the process, investigation and outcomes will be generated by the Complaints Lead in collaboration with our Practice Management Team.

Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

If you would like someone else to complain on your behalf, we will need a signed letter of consent from you before we discuss or share any information. This is because we have a duty of confidentiality and are bound by data protection legislation. Likewise, if you are a relative or carer complaining on someone else’s behalf, we will require the signed consent of the patient, or the person who has Power of Attorney over the person’s health and welfare. Should you wish to request a consent form please contact the Practice Manager. Once completed, this form will provide us with the written consent that we need. There are exceptional circumstances where it won’t be necessary for you to submit this completed form to us.  For example, the person you act on behalf of may lack capacity to provide consent or you may already be appointed to act by a Power of Attorney that covers healthcare.   We can provide you with further information about this if you think it’s relevant to you.

Making a complaint about us to someone else – Who should I complain to?

We’d always rather hear from you directly, but we realise that sometimes you might find it easier to talk to someone else about your concerns. The NHS Complaints Regulations 2009 which regulate the way that NHS complaints are handled gives people a choice of whether to complain to the provider of the services (in this case Mayfield Surgery), or the commissioner of the service which is NHS England. You can contact NHS England by telephone on 0300 311 2233 or by email to [email protected].

If your concerns about the commissioning of a different local service, the Integrated Care Board or hospital services you can contact PALS at the Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Integrated Care Board (ICB). Further information can be found here: Patient advice and liaison service – Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent ICB. The ICB PALS Team can be contacted on Freephone: 0808 196 8861 or by email: [email protected]. PALS is open from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).

Complaints support – What if I do not feel able to complain myself?

If you do not feel able to complain yourself, your relative, carer or advocate can raise your complaint on your behalf. We will always respect patient confidentiality and will not share any information regarding a patient’s treatment or care with a third party without your written consent.

Complaints support: Is there any help available to me in making my complaint?

Yes, there is an advocacy service available for people living in Stoke-on-Trent and different one for people living in Staffordshire.

Stoke-on-Trent Advocacy

Asist works alongside people with physical disabilities, learning disabilities or mental health conditions. It strives to ensure that there is support for people who have difficulty speaking out, so that they can have an equal voice in the choices and decisions that affect their lives.

Telephone: 01782 845584

Text: 60777

Email[email protected]

Staffordshire Advocacy

Healthwatch Staffordshire NHS Complaints Advocacy Service offers independent, impartial and confidential advice and support in pursuing complaints or concerns about the NHS.

Freephone: 0800 161 5600

Text: Healthwatch along with your name and number to 60006

Email[email protected]

IN WRITING: Healthwatch Staffordshire – NHS Complaints Advocacy Service, Suite 2, Opus House, Priestly Court, Staffordshire Technology Park, Stafford, ST18 0LQ

The service operates between the hours of 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Messages left outside of office hours will be responded to within two working days.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

We hope to be able to work with you to resolve your concerns or your formal complaint. However if following making a complaint you feel that resolution has not been achieved, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. Further information about the Ombudsman and the services that they provide can be found here: Making a complaint | Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Complaints and Comments Policy – February 2023